THE YELLOW UMBRELLA PROJECT
The Yellow Umbrella Project is a mental health initiative that will take place on Ontario college campuses during the 2016/2017 academic year. The mission is to stop the stigma surrounding mental health and recognize the resources available to students within their college community.
The NCSAC has been involved with the campaign since its inception in January 21st 2013 as the #Blue 2013 campaign. NCSAC is one of the many college Student Associations in the province that participate in mental health advocacy and awareness campaign.
As one of the lightest colours, yellow is uplifting and illuminating. Yellow offers hope, happiness, cheerfulness and fun. Within the meaning of colours, yellow is the great communicator; it loves to talk.
The Yellow Umbrella symbolizes shelter; shelter from the stigma that surrounds mental health.
- Increase awareness among Niagara College students and the community about factors contributing to mental health challenges
- Decrease the stigma that is associated with mental health on campus
- Ensure students are aware of the resources that are available to them on and off campus
- Promote positivity and balance in all aspects of a student’s life through engaging initiatives
- Continue to advocate and support mental health initiatives for all post-secondary students
- Canadian Mental Health Association, Niagara Branch
Phone #: 905-641-5222
- Distress Centre Niagara
Phone #: 905-688-3711
- Family: Mental Health Support Network of Niagara
Phone #: 905-894-6808
- Phone #: 1-866-925-5454
Alternate Phone #: www.good2talk.ca/